CiES fuel senders now available for 108/V77

Fuel related issues or modifications

Moderator: moffetb

moffetb
Site Admin

CiES fuel senders now available for 108/V77

Post by moffetb » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 am

From email:

CiES Inc. fuel quantity senders are now FAA approved for STC installation in Cessna 310, 320, 340, 401, 402, 406, 411 414, 421, T303, 208 Caravan. DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, Twin Commander 500, 600, 700 Series, Beech Duchess, Twin Bonanza, Piper PA 18 Super Cub, Stinson 108, V-77, Marchetti SF260,205, Helio Courier and the Navion

Scott Philiben
President

1375 SE Wilson Ave
Suite 150
Bend OR 97702

scott.philiben@ciescorp.com
www.ciescorp.net
1946 Stinson 108-1, Franklin 165, at one time NX8306K

lawheelock

Re: CiES fuel senders now available for 108/V77

Post by lawheelock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Scott,
I did not see Stinson or Univair in your AML on your website.
What does one have to use as an indicator with your fuel senders?
I am quite sure the original gages will not work.
Larry Wheelock, A&P/IA
Larry Wheelock, A&P/IA
Stinson 108 N584LW 180 Lyc
Texas in Winter; Indiana in Summer

moffetb
Site Admin

Post by moffetb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Scott is not a member on the forum, I was just posting that information from an email I received.

I'll forward your question, as I am curious as well.

Page 12 of 14 on this document: https://ciescorp.net/wp-content/uploads ... 2-2018.pdf

Brian

lawheelock

Post by lawheelock » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks, Brian,
I guess I missed it on my first look thru. Easy to miss when reading sideways (display) and seemed to not have alphabetical order.
But, obviously, it is on the AML but still wonder about what it will interface with.
Larry Wheelock, A&P/IA

moffetb
Site Admin

Post by moffetb » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Email Reply:

They will work with an older gauge - they are not FAA STC approved for an older gauge but it does work.

We demonstrated this to the FAA and they were not in favor of supporting analog gauging - as you read you will realize why they made this choice

This was a project the Cardinal Club started - Yes we now can interface to an old cessna gauge - if it is in good shape and has been modified to accept an external voltage regulator

The vintage Stinson gauge should be much better - but it will also have to be in good condition - we will need one to pattern the output as well as a tank profile

I wanted to share our progress on the CiES fuel sender calibration project.

I have been working with Scott Philiben and his lead engineer, Rick, on getting their 21st Century senders to work with our 50 year-old gauges.

Like many of you, I have not made the jump to a new panel and do not have space for a standalone fuel quantity display.

I really wanted a stopgap measure to help my fuel indication until I go glass.

I installed the senders over the weekend and will help write a tech page on that job.

The Reader’s Digest version is it took about 8 hours in total to do the installation.

About half of that was time spent running an additional wire to each wing, as I really wanted the power to the senders to be derived from the factory fuel sensing circuit.

I must say the new senders are an impressive piece of hardware/software and not to be taken for granted.

Scott and Rick came over for a calibration session and we spent about 5 hours collecting data points and perfecting the map for the fuel levels.

In the process, we ironed out several problems. The first hurdle is that the OEM gauges are not precise. IMO, I likely have some of the best functioning OEM gauges in our fleet, but they still leave much to be desired.

For example, it required 5.5 volts to drive the needle from empty to the ½ mark, but only took 5 volts to move the needle from “full” to ½. This ½ volt discrepancy was mostly in the middle of the gauge scale, but it took some compromise to keep the needle where we wanted it.

The other fatal flaw in the original Cessna design is that the gauge has no internal voltage regulation whatsoever.

This means the accuracy is totally dependent on buss voltage.

As we all know, buss voltage can vary quite bit from one plane to the next. A half-volt difference is as much as a ¼ tank of error. Not acceptable! So… we added a 10 volt regulator to the b+ side of the gauges to give them a rock solid reference. Then it was a matter of trial and error collecting data on the gauge. With some effort, I’d say the results are pleasing.

The second half of the project was to collect the data on the tank. We captured the frequency output of the new senders at empty, 1/8, ¼, 3/8, ½, 5/8, ¾, full and over-full.

(My tanks hold 28 gallons each due to the Monarch caps.) Due to the sender placement and the dihedral of the wing, the float doesn’t start to move until 2 gallons are in the tank. So… “empty” is actually 2 gallons instead of 1/2. On the other end of the spectrum, we calibrated “full” as 25 gallons. Anything over 25 the needle will move to the right of full. (For 60 gallon

Cardinals, the tank is just longer, so the calibrations should hold true.) For instance, “half” a tank is still the same height of fuel in the tank.

All in all, I think we have very good results and I am eager to try it all out real world. Now that the data is collected, mapped and saved, CiES should be able to deliver analogue senders for us that work great! And, since they retain the frequency drive output, the jump to a digital display down the road is just switching the wire.

I hope this investment helps Scott and his team as well as our club. I know several of you are eager to get your hands on this kit and now it’s here! I will report more results in the coming weeks.

lawheelock

Post by lawheelock » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks, Brian,
This is sounding like a vast improvement, not only for Stinsons, but nearly every other plane that used the old Stewart Warner system, like my '65 Mooney.
Larry Wheelock, A&P/IA

moffetb
Site Admin

Post by moffetb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:39 pm

People who have put them in the Socata TB-20 (4 fuel senders, 2 tanks) really like them.

Brian

dcn6102m

Post by dcn6102m » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Holy cow. So do I understand correctly that someone would have to repeat this calibration process for the Stinson the same that the Cardinal Club did? And for the Stinson you have the 20 gallon and the 25 gallon tanks, although I think the senders are in the same location and the 25 gallon tanks are just another rib bay longer, so the calibration could be done using the 25 gallon tanks. Considering the trouble and expense, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile project. A consumption rate of a gallon every 6 minutes and a dipstick work well for my purposes. A fuel flow meter/computer would be a great addition for a Stinson panel. That should provide the best accuracy. I think some Stinson owners have installed these.

Dennis Crenshaw. N6102M.

Willie Spence

Post by Willie Spence » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm installing the digital senders and the digital gauge from CiES. The STC for the 108 series is dated March2019.

https://ciescorp.net/wp-content/uploads ... 190313.pdf

The original left wing sensor is our in my 108-3 and would have to replace it with one in kind and then success remains in question. I'm tired of wondering how much fuel I have left. I am also installing a JPI FS 450G

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/fuel-scan-450/

Overkill? Perhaps. But the more I think about it the less I can resist both editions. Retiring in a few months and want to take the 108 to remote places in the mountains. Did more significant mods recently as well. Very happy with all so far. Will post about all the changes I've made on a seperate post later.

Cheers,
Willie Spence
N6502M