Panel Mount GPS

discuss avionics issues related to the Panel. Other "Electrical" issues can be placed in the Electrical forum

Moderator: moffetb

Prmetime

Panel Mount GPS

Post by Prmetime » Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 am

Good Evening All,
I was wondering if anyone has a GPS installed in the panel of their Stinson? I got a very good deal on a King KLN-89B and I haven't installed it yet due to funds and I am wondering if it is really worth it anymore. So what did you install, If you did, and why did you choose the unit you have?
Karl A Vogelheim
S108-3 N596C

dcn6102m

Re: Panel Mount GPS

Post by dcn6102m » Wed May 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi Karl,
In my opinion your inclination that a panel installation of a GPS might be more trouble and expense than its worth is on the mark. But I'm not familiar with the KLN-89B. Is that an IFR approved unit and is your Stinson certified for IFR flight? It's hard to beat the variety and costs of portable GPS's available, especially when you consider the cost of acquisition and installation of a panel mount. I have the Adventure Pilot iFly 740, which works great; and of course everyone has an iPad with a linked GPS receiver. I use a Bad Elf GPS receiver which is linked via blue tooth to my iPad, running the iFly app. That's more than enough for a VFR bird like mine, and provides redundancy if one of the units decides to take a nap. I have the small uAvionix ADS-B receiver(the miniature one about the size of a large postage stamp with 2 "whisker" antennae 978/1090 Mhz) which give me weather and traffic on the GPS. This plugs into the iFly 740 for its power source, as it does not have dedicated batteries. Pilotage is my backup of final resort, as I don't even have a VOR receiver in my airplane.

Dennis Crenshaw. N6102M.

Prmetime

Re: Panel Mount GPS

Post by Prmetime » Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 am

Dennis,
The KLN-89B is IFR rated and can do non-precision GPS approaches. I originally got it for gentleman's IFR (getting through a cloud deck or getting past some rain showers to get to clear sky). I have not done an IFR check for my transponder since I didn't want to do IFR with a single nav radio even though I do have a handheld GPS.
I was just wondering if anyone had put a panel mounted GPS in their Stinson. I know of a few people that put the King KLN-135 and Garmin 250 which are both VFR GPS units in their aircraft. I just wanted to see what people have done.

Karl
Karl A Vogelheim
S108-3 N596C